Among the Enemy
- reading group guide
- customer reviews
The Population Police are gaining more and more power, and illegal third-borns are in increasing danger. Young Matthias finds himself caught in the cross fire between the Population Police and the rebels -- and unwittingly ends up saving the life of a Population Police officer. By way of reward, the officer takes Matthias to the luxury of Population Police headquarters to train him to become one of their own. There, among his most feared enemies, Matthias encounters Nina, another illegal third-born, who enlists his help in a plot to undermine the Population Police. But Matthias is under constant scrutiny, he has no idea whom he can trust, and he's mourning the loss of his friends Percy and Alia. What can one boy do against a wicked bureaucracy?
In the most exciting Shadow Children book yet, Margaret Peterson Haddix examines how the courage of individuals can make an impact on growing evil.
Added to Cart
Among the Enemy
Choose a format:
- Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers |
- 224 pages |
- ISBN 9780689857966 |
- June 2005 |
- Grades 3 - 7 |
- Lexile 760L
To download a file to your computer right-click on the link and choose 'save file as'
- The Missing and Shadow Children Teacher's Guide (pdf)
- The Missing and Shadow Children Teacher's Guide (jpg)
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): Among the Enemy
Hardcover 9780689857966(2.6 MB)
- Author Photo (jpg): Margaret Peterson Haddix
The Backstage Studio(3.3 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
Get updates on new releases, awards news, materials for course adoption and conference information
Reading Group Guide
THE SHADOW CHILDREN BOOKS
Among the Hidden
Among the Impostors
Among the Betrayed
By Margaret Peterson Haddix
A Guide for Reading Groups
About the Books
Sometimes in this world it's hard to know who is telling the truth, who isn't, and what can be done about all the things that are wrong. The government claims that there isn't enough food for everyone in the world, and so they have made it illegal for any family to have more than two children. Yet hundreds of these illegal shadow children exist, and they want desperately to find a place for themselves in society. But these are children who have been forced to hide their entire lives, and who are only allowed to venture out with fake IDs in their hands and fear in their hearts. How can they sort through the conflicting information about shadow children and find out where they belong? And will they be able to find the courage to defy the government and stop hiding?
- What are some of the ways in which having more than two children would be a burden in this society? Why do some families decide to have illegal shadow children in spite of this added strain? Do you think that the benefits of having another child outweigh the sacrifices that must be made?
- Luke often feels hurt by the way his father treats him, especially when he is making his