The Shadow Children
Among the Hidden; Among the Impostors
In Among the Hidden, Luke discovers the existence of another shadow child, and his world is turned upside down. How much is Luke willing to risk for the chance of freedom?
In Among the Impostors, Luke has the chance to come out of hiding at last. Under a fake identity, he is enrolled in the Hendricks School, where he discovers that there is a lot going on under the surface. Luke doesn't know whom he can trust, where the truth will lead him -- or what price he'll have to pay for the answers he seeks.
Added to Cart
The Shadow Children
Choose a format:
- Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers |
- 352 pages |
- ISBN 9781416990277 |
- May 2009 |
- Grades 3 - 7
To download a file to your computer right-click on the link and choose 'save file as'
- The Missing and Shadow Children Teacher's Guide (pdf)
- The Missing and Shadow Children Teacher's Guide (jpg)
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): The Shadow Children
Trade Paperback 9781416990277(2.4 MB)
- Author Photo (jpg): Margaret Peterson Haddix
The Backstage Studio(3.3 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
Get updates on new releases, awards news, materials for course adoption and conference information
Reading Group Guide
THE SHADOW CHILDREN BOOKS
Among the Hidden
Among the Impostors
Among the Betrayed
By Margaret Peterson Haddix
A Guide for Reading Groups
About the Books
Sometimes in this world it's hard to know who is telling the truth, who isn't, and what can be done about all the things that are wrong. The government claims that there isn't enough food for everyone in the world, and so they have made it illegal for any family to have more than two children. Yet hundreds of these illegal shadow children exist, and they want desperately to find a place for themselves in society. But these are children who have been forced to hide their entire lives, and who are only allowed to venture out with fake IDs in their hands and fear in their hearts. How can they sort through the conflicting information about shadow children and find out where they belong? And will they be able to find the courage to defy the government and stop hiding?
- What are some of the ways in which having more than two children would be a burden in this society? Why do some families decide to have illegal shadow children in spite of this added strain? Do you think that the benefits of having another child outweigh the sacrifices that must be made?
- Luke often feels hurt by the way his father treats him, especially when he is making his