We the Children
Added to Cart
We the Children
Choose a format:
- Atheneum Books for Young Readers |
- 160 pages |
- ISBN 9781416938866 |
- April 2010 |
- Grades 2 - 5 |
- Lexile 860
To download a file to your computer right-click on the link and choose 'save file as'
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): We the Children
Hardcover 9781416938866(0.8 MB)
- Author Photo (jpg): Andrew Clements
Photo Credit:(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
Hear an Excerpt
Get updates on new releases, awards news, materials for course adoption and conference information
Reading Group Guide
WE THE CHILDREN
Book One of Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School
by Andrew Clements
1. One of the first things readers learn about Ben is that he has caps on his front teeth. What happened to his front teeth? How does this experience affect his feelings about saving Oakes School?
2. What does Mr. Keane give Ben? Who owned this object before Mr. Keane? Why does Mr. Keane believe the school is about to be attacked?
3. Who was Duncan Oakes? What objects in and around the school remind students of Captain Oakes? Does your school have paintings, statues, trophies, or other items that help students remember its past? Do you ever think about these items? If so, describe one or more of these items and what thoughts, ideas, or inspiration they bring to you.
4. In Chapter 3, Ben thinks to himself, “Welcome to the exciting new theme of Benjamin Pratt's life-change.” List three changes about which Ben is thinking. How does Ben feel about all these changes? Is change a theme in your life? If so, in what ways?
5. Who is Mr. Lyman? Why is he different from past janitors at Oakes School? What secrets does Jill discover about Mr. Lyman? In addition to Mr. Lyman, from whom do Ben and Jill keep Mr. Keane's coin and last words secret? Do you think this is a good decision? Why or why not?
6. How does Ben feel about sailing an Optimist? How long has he been sail see more